WINTRE-MIX Data Policy
WINTRE-MIX Data Policy
- All investigators participating in WINTRE-MIX agree to promptly SUBMIT their final Quality Controlled data to the WINTRE-MIX Data Archive Center (WDAC) (or to an archive as specified in the WINTRE-MIX Data Management Plan) along with required dataset documentation at the latest within 6 months after the end of the field phase (16 September 2022) to facilitate inter-comparison of results, quality control checks and inter-calibrations, as well as an integrated interpretation of the combined dataset. Data will be RESTRICTED for an additional 6 months (until 16 March 2023) following the data submission period so that Principal Investigators (PIs) may have exclusive access to the WINTRE-MIX data.
- During this restricted data access period, defined as a total of a 12 month period following the end of the WINTRE-MIX Field Project Deployment, WINTRE-MIX Principal Investigators (PIs) may have exclusive access to this data. This time period is designed to provide an opportunity to refine algorithms to reflect real-world observations and quality control the combined dataset as well as to provide the investigators ample time to publish their results. Data may be password protected upon the request of the data provider.
- All EOL platform and instrument data will follow the EOL Data Policy.
- All data in the WDAC will be considered Public Domain at 12 months following the end of the WINTRE-MIX Field Project Deployment (i.e., on 17 March 2023 and thereafter). A dataset within the WINTRE-MIX archive can be opened to the public domain earlier at the discretion of the data provider for this particular dataset.
- All data shall be promptly provided to other WINTRE-MIX investigators upon request. All WINTRE-MIX investigators will have equal access to all data. A list of WINTRE-MIX investigators will be maintained by NCAR/EOL and will include the Principal Investigators (PIs) directly participating in the field experiment as well as collaborating scientists who have provided guidance in the planning and analysis of WINTRE-MIX data.
- During the restricted data access period, the investigator(s) who collected the data must be notified first of the intent to use the data, in particular if data is to be provided to a third party (e.g., journal articles, presentations, research proposals, other investigators). It is strongly encouraged that PIs responsible for acquisition of data be invited to become collaborators and co-authors on any projects, publications and presentations. If the contribution of the data product is significant to the publication, the PIs responsible for generating a measurement or a data product should be offered the right of co-authorship. Any use of the data should include an acknowledgment (i.e., citation). In all circumstances, the PIs responsible for acquisition of data should be acknowledged appropriately. Following availability in the public domain, users of the data are strongly encouraged to contact the relevant PIs prior to incorporating it into peer-reviewed publications.
- International agencies, professional societies, and research organizations are moving towards requiring researchers to formally cite data and sources that led to a given research result. To support this, DOIs or Digital Object Identifiers (considered “perpetual” identifiers) will be assigned to FINAL datasets housed within the WDAC. These DOIs should be used in WINTRE-MIX related publications. DOIs will not be created for preliminary data.
|1 February 2022 - 15 March 2022
Restricted Data Access Period (WINTRE-MIX Science Team members may have exclusive access to the data during this period.)
16 March 2022 -16 March 2023
|Final Data Submission Deadline
|16 September 2022
|Data becomes Public Domain
|17 March 2023