Track 3 Field Campaign Request Process
Track 3 proposals are for the deployment of major LAOF such as aircraft, instrumentation networks, multiple LAOF, or a combination of LAOF and CIF. A proposal for a multi-year research campaign will also fall under Track 3.
Track 3 proposals have two submission time frames, determined by the complexity of the facility deployment. Deployment complexity correlates with the lead time required to conduct the field campaign, which depends on the project's location, the type of resource(s) required, the level of instrument integration needed, and the amount of interagency or international collaboration. NSF, in consultation with the facility provider(s), will determine the required deadline. Activities deemed straightforward will use the submission deadline 15–21 months in advance of the campaign start date. Activities deemed complex will use the submission deadline 18–24 months in advance of the campaign start date.
For detailed information, please consult the NSF Facility and Instrumentation Request Process (FIRP) solicitation.
Track 3 | EOL Request Process
The PI must include a copy of the LAOF facility request and EOL-provided cost estimate as supplementary documentation with the FIRP proposal. For EOL to prepare the required documents and share them with the PI in a timely manner, the following steps are necessary:
- PI engages with EOL during the proposal preparation process to ascertain facility availability and suitability for the proposed research.
- PI submits the required Statement of Interest (no more than 3 pages) to the NSF FARE Program Director with a copy to the cognizant science program director and EOL 3 months prior to proposal submission.
- NSF FARE Program Director will confirm Track 3 complexity (straight forward or complex), proposal route and proposal timeline.
- PI submits a facility request to EOL via PRESTO no later than eight weeks before the NSF/PI agreed upon FIRP proposal submission date.
- EOL prepares a budget estimate in the form of a ROM for facility use for each LAOF.
- EOL shares a copy of the completed facility request form and ROM cost estimate with the PI no later than one week before the FIRP proposal deadline for inclusion in their FIRP proposal.
- PI submits FIRP proposal with supplementary documentation by the predetermined NSF submission date.
- EOL shares a copy of the feasibility with the PI and NSF one month after the submission date.
- NSF makes funding decision.
- If funded, PI and EOL start the project planning and implementation process.
Track 3 | Required & Supplementary Documents in PRESTO
Prepare the required following documents in PDF format for upload to PRESTO as part of the facility request.
- Experiment Plan (no more than 10 pages)
This document should provide details about the experiment setup of the requested LAOF and their planned use. Suggested information includes the number of the facilities involved and a description of the associated instrumentation requested, the facility deployment methods, how the observing facility(ies) will be deployed to address the research objectives /hypotheses, the number of intensive operating periods (if appropriate), and other relevant information to assess the feasibility of the LAOF to meet the scientific objectives.
- Data Management Plan (no page limit)
This document provides an overview of how data will be managed across the project.
- List of Publications (no page limit)
This document lists relevant publications resulting from previous NSF LAOF support for the PI and Co-PIs from the last five years. Provide the information in a table format, including the campaign name and year, LAOF used, publication citation, and digital object identifier. If there are no publications, upload a document indicating so.
Prepare the following supplementary documents in PDF format for upload to PRESTO as part of the facility request.
- User-supplied Scientific Payload (no page limit) [for NSF/NCAR aircraft requests only]
Completed the appropriate LAOF Aircraft User-supplied Airborne Instrumentation Form for each instrument (no page limit). Note the forms are specific to either the NSF/NCAR aircraft or the UWKA aircraft.
- Any additional facility information, if other relevant information as needed in PDF format that pertains to this request (no page limit).