TRANS2AM Data Policy
TRANS2AM DATA POLICY
Updated 18 January 2022
- Instrument teams will provide quicklook data products to the project PIs in ICARTT format for merging with other data sets within 24 hours of a flight to support in field quality control and flight planning.
- All instrument teams participating in TRANS2AM agree to promptly submit their preliminary quality controlled measurement data in ICARTT format to the TRANS2AM Data Archive Center (TDAC) at the NCAR/EOL Field Data Archive within 3 months after the project data are acquired.
- For real-time data collected in the field during the 2021 field intensive, this is by 15 December 2021. This will facilitate inter-comparison of results, quality control checks and inter-calibrations, and integrated interpretation of the combined data set. The preliminary data submission period for most data is therefore from 15 October 2021 to 15 December 2021. For measurements that require off-line analysis after the field project, including chemical analysis of samples collected, preliminary data should be released within 6 months of analysis, by 15 April 2022.
- For real-time data collected in the field during the 2022 field intensive, this is by 15 September 2022. This will facilitate inter-comparison of results, quality control checks and inter-calibrations, and integrated interpretation of the combined data set. The preliminary data submission period for most data is therefore from 15 July 2022 to 15 October 2022. For measurements that require off-line analysis after the field project, including chemical analysis of samples collected, preliminary data should be released within 6 months of analysis, by 15 January 2023.
- All instrument teams participating in TRANS2AM agree to submit their final quality controlled measurement data to the TDAC. There are different deadlines for real-time versus off-line datasets.
- For real-time data collected during the 2021 field intensive, the deadline for final data submission is 15 April 2022. For off-line data, the deadline for final data submission is 15 July 2022. This will facilitate final merging and quality control checks in advance of the initial public release on 15 October 2022.
- For real-time data collected during the 2022 field intensive, the deadline for final data submission is 15 January 2023. For off-line data, the deadline for final data submission is 15 March 2023. This will facilitate final merging and quality control checks in advance of the initial public release on 15 July 2023.
- Preliminary and final data should be in the ICARTT format and must include documentation in the form of a readme file describing the measurement and data processing procedures used to generate the dataset as described here. Instrument investigators are encouraged to also submit raw data and all data processing routines used to get from the raw to final data products.
- All data and metadata in the archive will be considered open to the public domain 1 year after the data are acquired. However, any data, metadata or product within the TDAC at EOL can be opened to the public domain earlier at the discretion of the responsible data/product provider in consultation with the TRANS2AM PI Team.
- During the initial data analysis period, defined as from 15 October 2021 to 14 October 2022 for the 2021 field campaign (a one-year period following the end of the 2021 TRANS2AM Field Deployment) and 15 July 2022 to 14 July 2023 for the 2022 TRANS2AM Field Deployment), TRANS2AM Investigators will have exclusive access to the data. This initial analysis period is designed to provide an opportunity to quality control the combined data set as well as to provide the investigators ample time to prepare manuscripts for publication and presentation.
- Quicklook and preliminary data sets will be distributed within the TRANS2AM team and may be shared outside the team (with permission of the investigator responsible for the production of the data set) to support early analyses. However, in no case shall quicklook or preliminary data be used in a publication or conference presentation without agreement from the investigator making the data.
- A list of TRANS2AM investigators will be maintained by NCAR/EOL and will include the investigators directly participating in the field experiment as well as collaborating scientists who are members of the TRANS2AM Science Team and agencies who have provided guidance and data in the planning and analysis of TRANS2AM data. All data shall be promptly provided to other TRANS2AM investigators upon request if not available through the archive. All TRANS2AM investigators will have equal access to all data. No restricted data will be provided to non-TRANS2AM Investigators without the permission of the PI who collected that data.
- During the initial analysis period, the Investigator(s) who collected the data must be notified of the intent to use the data or in the early phase of the research project and especially before any journal articles, presentations, research proposals are developed. If the PI makes a significant intellectual contribution to the research, or if the data are essential to the work, or if an important result or conclusion depends on the data, co−authorship would normally be expected. This should be discussed at an early stage in the work. Any published use of the data should include an acknowledgment and/or a citation as described below.
- All acknowledgments of TRANS2AM data should identify: (1) the TRANS2AM campaign; (2) the crew and support staff at the University of Wyoming; (3) the providers who collected the particular datasets; (4) the relevant funding agencies associated with the collection of the data; (5) the role of EOL or relevant data archive center, and (6) use of any relevant Digital Objective Identifiers (DOIs). A suggested acknowledgment reads “The author(s) wish to acknowledge the TRANS2AM Project, [xxx data provider] for the use of the [yyy particular data] funded by zzz [relevant funding agency], the TRANS2AM Data Archive Center at NCAR’s Earth Observing Laboratory [and/or any other relevant Archive Center]. In addition, this text could include “This dataset is cited through doi:xx.xxxx/xxxxxxxx”, or preferably use the appropriate dataset citations(s) in the Publications References Section. EOL expects to be assigning DOIs for all final datasets submitted to the main archive at EOL. Further, note that close collaboration and co-authorship with investigators collecting the data is highly encouraged.
- EOL will be responsible for the long-term data stewardship of the TRANS2AM archive.
This table describes the data finalizing sequence for the 2021 TRANS2AM field campaign.
|End of Field Campaign||15 Oct 2021|
|Preliminary Real-Time Data Submission Deadline||15 Dec 2021|
|Final Real-time Data Submission Deadline||15 April 2022|
|Preliminary Off-Line Data Submission||15 April 2022|
|Final Off-Line Data Submission||15 July 2022|
|Initial Data Analysis Period (TRANS2AM Science Team members have exclusive access to password protected data during this period.)||15 Oct 2021 -
14 Oct 2022
This table describes the data finalizing sequence for the 2022 TRANS2AM field campaign.
|End of Field Campaign||15 Jul 2022|
|Preliminary Real-Time Data Submission Deadline||15 Sep 2022|
|Final Real-time Data Submission Deadline||15 Jan 2023|
|Preliminary Off-Line Data Submission||15 Jan 2023|
|Final Off-Line Data Submission||15 Apr 2023|
|Initial Data Analysis Period (TRANS2AM Science Team members have exclusive access to password protected data during this period.)||15 Jul 2022 -
14 Jul 2023