GCIP Initial Data Set 1
The Global Energy and Water Cycle Experiment (GEWEX) Continental-scale International Project (GCIP) Initial Data Set (GIDS-1) contains data from the west-central Mississippi River basin. GIDS-1 is a combination of operational and research data over a 3-month period.
The purpose of GIDS-1 was to create a prototype data set similar to future data sets collected during the GCIP Enhanced Observing Period (1995-2000). Data from the STORM-FEST Field Project was selected as a nucleus to build GIDS-1.
STORM-FEST provided a data set that:
- included atmospheric and hydrological data obtained in the center of the GCIP area
- occurred during a hydrologically important time of year (i.e. late winter/early spring)
- included routine operational data as well as special research observing platforms for a 6 week period
- provided similar quality controlled surface and upper air composite data sets as required by GCIP.
An additional 6 weeks of operational data was added to the STORM-FEST data to:
- increase the collection period of GIDS-1 into the spring snowmelt/runoff period and
- provide a direct comparison of 6 weeks of intensive/special observations to 6 weeks of routine observations for evaluating future GCIP observational enhancements.
- EOL Archive NCAR/EOL/DMS