The NSF Facility and Instrumentation Request Process (FIRP) solicitation states that Track 2 proposals are for domestic research projects that require a single CIF or LAOF facility, excluding aircraft. Small international collaborations with straightforward deployment requests may be requested for Track 2. PIs must consult with the FARE program director if an international deployment is requested under Track 2.
Deployments including aircraft or a network of instruments, or multi-year deployments, are not eligible under Track 2. Examples of Track 2 activities include the use of laboratory-based equipment or a single mobile radar/lidar facility.
Track 2 FIRP proposals can be submitted to NSF 9–15 months ahead of the planned activity. There is no deadline, and submissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
Read more from the NSF Facility and Instrumentation Request Process (FIRP) solicitation about the Track 2 request process.
Track 2 EOL FARE/LAOF Request Process
A PI-submitted FARE/LAOF Facility Request and EOL-provided cost estimate are required to be submitted by the PI with the FIRP proposal. For EOL to prepare the required documents and share with the PI in a timely manner, the following the steps are necessary:
- PI engages with the EOL Facility Request Coordinator during the proposal preparation process to ascertain facility availability and suitability for the proposed research.
- PI submits required Statement of Interest (SoI) to NSF at least 15 months ahead of activity.
- PI submits facility request to EOL via PRESTO no later than one month before FIRP proposal submission date.
- EOL prepares a ROM cost estimate for the FARE/LAOF.
- LAOF Request Coordinator shares the FARE/LAOF facility request and ROM cost estimate with PI within three weeks of receiving the facility request, for inclusion in their FIRP proposal.
- PI submits FIRP Proposal to NSF 9–15 months prior to the start of the research activity.
- NSF Decision
- PI & EOL Project planning
Documents for Track 2 FARE/LAOF Facility Request in PRESTO
Prepare the following required document in PDF format for upload to PRESTO as part of the facility request.
Experiment Plan (no more than 10 pages)
Provide details about the experiment setup of the requested LAOF and their planned use. Suggested information includes the number of the facilities involved and a description of the associated instrumentation requested, the facility deployment methods, how the observing facility(ies) will be deployed to address the research objectives / hypotheses, the number of intensive operating periods (if appropriate), and other relevant information to assess the feasibility of the LAOF to meet the scientific objectives.
Data Management Plan (no page limit)
Provide an overview of how data will be managed across the project.
Prepare the following optional document in PDF format for upload to PRESTO as part of the facility request.
Letters of Support / Collaboration (no page limit)
Provide letters of support or collaboration for this project.
FARE/LAOF Request Manager
Ms. Alison Rockwell
o. (303) 497-8758